Notice of Public Teleconference and Agenda
BAR Advisory Group Meeting - July 15, 2021
Thursday, July 15, 2021
9:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
NOTE: As with the provisions of Governor Gavin Newsom’s Executive Order N-08-21, dated June 11, 2021, neither a public location nor teleconference locations are provided.
Teleconference and Public Participation Information
This teleconference meeting is accessible to the public by WebEx and webcast at the links below. For information on how to join the teleconference and/or participate in public comment via WebEx, refer to the WebEx instructions.
WebEx - Observation and Public Comment
(Event Password: BAR07152021)
Webcast - Observation Only
Advisory Group Members
Louis J. Anapolsky, Knox, Lemmon & Anapolsky, LLP
Nikki Ayers, Independent Automotive Professionals Association
Christina Bauders, Automotive Oil Change Association
Gary Conover, California Automotive Wholesalers' Association
Jeff Cox, Automotive Maintenance and Repair Association/Motorist Assurance Program
Johan Gallo, California Automotive Business Coalition
Vince Gregory, AAA Northern California
George Hritz, California Automotive Teachers
David Kusa, Automotive Service Councils of California
Brian Maas, California New Car Dealers Association
Megan McKernan, Automobile Club of Southern California
Jack Molodanof, California Auto Body Association
Ruben Parra, California Automotive Teachers
David Robinette, Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair
- Welcome and Introductions – Patrick Dorais, BAR Chief
- DCA News and Updates – Executive Office, Department of Consumer Affairs
- Legislation and Regulations Update – Holly O’Connor/Lucy Sarkisyan, BAR Executive Office
- BAR-OIS Modified Software Implementation Update – Paul Hedglin, BAR Engineering and Research Branch
- Smog Check Equipment Security and Fraud Prevention Update – Paul Hedglin, BAR Engineering and Research Branch
- STAR Program Informal Hearing Process – Mathew Gibson, Enforcement Operations Branch
- 2020 Smog Check Performance Reports – John Gee, BAR Engineering and Research Branch
- Citation Service and Appeal Process – Greg Pearson, Enforcement Operations Branch
- Enforcement Statistics Update – BAR Enforcement Operations Branch (Handout Only)
- License Processing Data – Licensing Program (Handout Only)
- Public Comment on Items Not on the Agenda
- Next BAR Advisory Group Meeting – Thursday, October 21, 2021
Important Notices to the Public
Discussion may be taken on any item on the agenda. The time and order of agenda items are subject to change at the discretion of the Bureau chief.
As provided in Government Code section 11125.7, this meeting provides the opportunity for the public to address each agenda item during discussion or consideration by the advisory group. Members of the public will be provided appropriate opportunities to comment on any issues before the advisory group, but the chief may, at his or her discretion, apportion available time among those who wish to speak. If public comment is not specifically requested, members of the public should feel free to request an opportunity to comment.
Meeting materials are available on the BAR Advisory Group page.
For inquiries concerning this meeting or to request a disability-related accommodation or modification in order to participate in the meeting, contact Zach Richardson at (916) 403-8615 or Zachary.Richardson@dca.ca.gov. Requests must be submitted at least five business days before the meeting to help ensure availability of the accommodation or modification.
Informational Item - Public Teleconference Workshop
Citation Program for Automotive Repair Dealers
July 15, 2021
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. (or until close of business)
Following the meeting, the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) will host its second public workshop to discuss the proposed extension of BAR’s citation program to Automotive Repair Act violations by registered automotive repair dealers. The first workshop was held on April 22, 2021. BAR’s citation program currently authorizes citations for unlicensed automotive repair activity. A similar citation program also exists for licensed Smog Check stations and technicians for violations of the Health and Safety Code.