Biometric Palm Scans to Replace Passwords for BAR-OIS Inspections
Get ready for the biometric rollout and schedule your enrollment appointment now!
On August 15, 2022, the Office of Administrative Law approved and filed with the Secretary of State the Bureau of Automotive Repair’s (BAR) regulatory action concerning Smog Check equipment security and fraud prevention. The regulations require, in part, Smog Check inspectors to use a biometric palm scanner instead of a password to log in and perform a Smog Check on the BAR On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS).
The biometric enrollment period begins October 1, 2022. During the enrollment period, all licensed Smog Check inspectors must complete biometric enrollment at a BAR field office to establish a palm data profile. Inspectors who have not enrolled by the mandatory start date for biometric palm scanner usage will be unable to perform BAR-OIS inspections.
The mandatory start date for biometric palm scanner usage will be announced at least 30 days before the start date.
(Updated November 23, 2022)
Follow these steps to get biometric ready:
Schedule a biometric enrollment appointment
Smog Check inspectors must complete biometric enrollment at a BAR field office to establish a palm data profile. Schedule your enrollment appointment now to secure your desired appointment date, time, and BAR field office location.
- Inspectors who have not enrolled by the mandatory start date (to be announced soon) for biometric palm scanner usage will be unable to perform BAR-OIS inspections.
- Biometric enrollment is available at temporary walk-in locations on specified dates. Effective November 28, 2022, walk-ins may also be accepted at BAR field offices on Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Please note, walk-ins are accommodated only as scheduling allows on a first-come, first-served basis.
Complete biometric enrollment
At the enrollment appointment, BAR staff will:
- Verify your identity
- Review data collection notices, including:
- Take your photo
- Scan your palms to establish your biometric palm data profile
Be sure to bring the following items with you to your appointment:
- Your biometric enrollment appointment confirmation
- A valid, government-issued photo identification document (other than an inspector badge), such as a driver license, passport, or military identification
- A proof of identification document showing your legal name and signature such as a social security card or credit card
- Your BAR-issued inspector badge (if received prior to enrollment) and inspector license number
Please note, appointments cannot be canceled or rescheduled online. To cancel or reschedule your appointment, contact the BAR field office listed on your enrollment appointment confirmation at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
Order a biometric equipment kit
Biometric equipment kits are available for purchase from authorized resellers. Contact a reseller to order your kit today.
Download the BAR-OIS biometric software update
The BAR-OIS biometric software update is expected to be released in January 2023. BAR will notify stations when the update is available. After downloading the update, inspectors can begin using the palm scanner to log in and perform Smog Checks on the BAR-OIS.
Stay tuned for news and updates
Walk-in Enrollment Locations
Walk-in biometric enrollment is available at the temporary location(s) listed below. Dates and times are specified. No appointment is necessary.
Don’t see a walk-in location in your area? New locations are added often—check back frequently for the latest updates.
- Walk-ins may also be accepted at BAR field offices on Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. However, walk-ins are accommodated only as scheduling allows on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Inspectors are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment to avoid walk-in wait times and help guarantee their enrollment is completed by the mandatory start date. Schedule your biometric enrollment appointment online >
College of the Desert
Diesel Mechanics Building, Room DM-11A
43500 Monterey Ave., Palm Desert, CA 92260
December 8-9, 2022
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Note: Park in Lot 19.
Mt. San Jacinto College
1499 N. State St., San Jacinto, CA 92583
December 15-16, 2022
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Note: Licensees may park in designated Referee parking spaces. A parking permit is required for all other parking spaces.
Ukiah Public Library
105 North Main St., Ukiah, CA 95482
December 6-7, 2022
12/6/2022: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., 12/7/2022: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Biometric Equipment Kit Resellers
BAR biometric equipment kit part number: BAR BAK