Updated Write It Right Guide
The Bureau of Automotive Repair’s (BAR) Write It Right: A Guide for Automotive Repair Dealers has been a valuable resource available to automotive repair dealers (ARDs) for many years. The guide is intended to assist ARDs in complying with the Automotive Repair Act and related laws and regulations. It provides valuable information on documentation requirements and other legal obligations relating to automotive repair transactions, such as:
- Providing estimates and invoices to the customer.
- Performing only the repairs authorized by the customer.
- Keeping the customer informed.
- Maintaining a record of all repairs performed and parts supplied.
BAR’s newest edition of the Write It Right guide, to be released on BAR's website soon, includes the following updates:
- Definitions – A new section featuring definitions for key documentation and authorization elements.
- Electronic communication – Learn about the option to use electronic technology (i.e., emails, texts, etc.) to communicate with customers about automotive repair transactions.
- Estimate and invoice requirements for windshield installation.
- Improved format – An enhanced question and answer format organized to follow the order of a transaction and the applicable regulations.
- New look – A redesigned cover and layout.
BAR also offers Write It Right presentations by a local BAR representative. To schedule a presentation for an upcoming staff meeting or event, contact your local field office or complete a Speaker Request.
BAR's Write It Right guide is available at www.bar.ca.gov.