Registering as a Limited Liability Company

What is a Limited Liability Company (LLC)?

A limited liability company (LLC) is a legal entity, or form of business, that provides limited personal liability to the company's owners for any debt incurred or legal actions taken against the company.

Is a LLC required to be registered with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)?

Yes, a LLC company that engages in the business of repairing or diagnosing malfunctions of motor vehicles for compensation must be registered with BAR.

How do I register with BAR?

To register as an Automotive Repair Dealer - LLC, you need to complete the LLC application and submit the $200 fee. If you are also adding a Smog Check, lamp, or brake station, you must submit the correct application along with the applicable fees. Applications are available at or by calling BAR's Licensing Unit at (855) 735-0462 or the Department of Consumer Affair's Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210.

How do I obtain the required permits to complete the LLC application?

Permit and agency information is listed below:

Permit Agency Contact Information/Forms
Domestic or Foreign LLC Number California Secretary of State

(916) 653-6814
Seller Permit Number California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

(800) 400-7115
Federal Employer Identification Number Internal Revenue Service

(800) 829-3676
Local Jurisdiction Requirements/Permits/Licenses California Environmental Protection Agency/CalGOLD

(916) 323-2514

In addition to the completed LLC application, are other documents required for registration?

Yes, an operating agreement is required.

What is an operating agreement?

An operating agreement is a written agreement among LLC members governing the LLC business and members' financial and managerial rights and duties. In a single member LLC, an operating agreement is a declaration of the structure that the member has chosen for the company. For more information regarding an operating agreement, please seek legal counsel.

What is a member?

A member is a person or entity that owns a percentage of interest in a LLC. Members are similar to shareholders in a corporation. A member can be an individual, a partnership, a corporation, a trust, or a limited liability company.

Do all members need to sign the LLC application?

No. Only one representative, who is also a member, is required to sign the application.

Do I need to list all persons that are members of the LLC on the application?

Yes, all members of the LLC must be listed on the application. When appropriate, the following representatives must also be listed on the application:

  • Partnership - list all partners
  • Corporation - list the president, secretary, and treasurer
  • Trust - list every trustee

Do I need to notify BAR of any member changes?

Yes, if you are already registered as a LLC, own a licensed station, and are adding or deleting a member, you must submit a new LLC application and applicable fee.

Who can I contact for more information?

If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please contact the BAR's Licensing Unit at (855) 735-0462 or contact the Department of Consumer Affairs' Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. BAR forms and applications are available on BAR's website at