Lamp and Brake Adjuster Licensing Requirements
How do I become a lamp and/or brake adjuster?
To become licensed as a lamp and/or brake adjuster, you must complete the applicable application(s). A $10.00 fee is required for each application.
Can I use the same application to apply for both the lamp and brake adjuster license?
No, you must complete a separate application for each license.
What are the different class types an adjuster can hold?
There is only one lamp adjuster license class:
- Class A: Adjuster may test, inspect, adjust, repair, and certify the lighting systems on all vehicles, including motorcycles.
There are three brake adjuster license classes:
- Class A: Adjuster may test, inspect, adjust, repair, and certify the braking systems of all vehicles, including motorcycles.
- Class B: Adjuster may test, inspect, adjust, repair, and certify the braking systems on trucks 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and over. This class may also inspect, adjust, repair, and certify the braking system on all trailers.
- Class C: Adjuster may test, inspect, adjust, repair, and certify the braking systems on vehicles under 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), trailers without air brakes, and motorcycles.
Can I hold more than one class of brake adjuster license?
No, a licensee can only hold one class of brake adjuster license. However, you can hold both a lamp adjuster license and a brake adjuster license.
Where can I obtain an application?
You can contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair's (BAR) Licensing Unit at (855) 735-0462 or visit BAR's website to download the application.
What happens once the BAR Licensing Unit receives the application?
The Licensing Unit will review the application for completeness.
- If the application is complete, you will be notified to schedule your examination.
- If the application is incomplete, the Licensing Unit will mail you a deficiency letter requesting the necessary information to complete the application.
What materials are available to prepare for the examination?
What type of identification is required at the examination?
You must bring two forms of identification, one of which must include a photo.
Will I receive a license once I pass the examination?
Yes, you should receive a license in the mail within 10 business days of passing the examination.
How often do I need to renew my license?
Adjuster licensees must reapply for a license every four years. Please submit an application along with a check or money order for $5.00 per renewal before your license expiration date.
What if I am late submitting my renewal application?
You can submit your renewal fee with an additional late fee of $2.50 per license up until 30 days past your expiration date. Any renewal that is past 30 days of the expiration date will require an initial application and $10.00 filing fee.