Referee Centers Fact Sheet
Revised August 2012
The Referee Center is a state-contracted vehicle emissions test facility that is responsible for assisting motorists who are unable to obtain a Smog Check Certificate.
Referee Centers perform the following services:
- Issue Repair Cost Waivers to vehicles whose owners have spent more than the repair cost minimum to attempt to repair the vehicle to pass the Smog Check Inspection
- Resolving consumer disputes from prior Smog Check inspections
- Resolving consumer disputes of vehicles failing for excessive smoke
- Evaluating disputes regarding emission control system components
- Inspecting Unusual Vehicles
- Evaluating Manufacturer's physical design, inspection incompatibilities, and emission control configuration no-match (federal/state) issues
- Inspection of Retro-fit alternative fuel conversions kits
- Inspection of vehicles that have received an engine change
- Inspection of Grey Market vehicles (Vehicles not offered for sale in the United States)
- Inspection of Specially Constructed Vehicles
- Inspection of emission control system for possible tampering to clear citations issued by law enforcement officers
- Inspection to clear citations by law enforcement for excessive vehicle exhaust noise
Referee Centers provide services to consumers that are not available to them through Licensed Smog Check stations such as:
- Hard to find Parts Locator Service
- Vehicles with emission problems not detected by the vehicle's OBDII system
- Situations where Smog Check Station refuse to test vehicle
- Resolving inadvertent errors in Smog Check testing
- Testing of vehicles that fail as Gross Polluters
- Perform alternative test procedures when necessary to certify vehicles that are difficult to test
- Verification of vehicles that are currently exempt
Referee Centers are located throughout the state at various California Community Colleges. To Make a Referee Appointment call (800) 622-7733 to schedule an appointment for a Referee Center inspection.
The Referee Appointment Scheduling Center Operates BAR's "Hard To Find Emission Parts Locator Service"
The Referee Scheduling Center assists motorists whose vehicle fails a Smog Check inspection because of missing or modified emission-related parts that are difficult to find.
Consumers requesting a Limited Parts Exemption must go through the process, provided by the Referee Scheduling Center, to attempt to locate the part. If the part cannot be found, the vehicle may be eligible for a Limited Parts Exemption and the Consumer must take his or her vehicle to a Referee Center for inspection. When the vehicle passes all other aspects of the Smog Check inspection, the Limited Parts Exemption will be issued to satisfy the vehicle's Smog Check requirement.
If the part becomes available prior to the vehicle's next required smog inspection, the part must be replaced before the vehicle can be certified.
BAR's Emissions Parts Locator service can be reached at (800) 622-7733.